As the largest energy company in Florida and one of the state’s largest employers, we believe we have a responsibility to advance the state’s economic development activities.
As America’s largest electric utility, Florida Power & Light Company (FPL) serves more customers and sells more power than any other utility, providing clean, affordable, reliable electricity to more than 5.7 million accounts, or more than 12 million people. FPL operates one of the cleanest power generation fleets in the U.S and in 2021 won the ReliabilityOne® National Reliability Award for the sixth time in the last seven years. In 2011, FPL launched its Office of Economic Development–PoweringFlorida–to help expand the state’s economy and create more jobs for Florida Families. Since then, the PoweringFlorida team has worked with the EDC of Sarasota County and other statewide partners to bring more than 230 companies to the state, representing more than 106,000 new and retained jobs and a $100+ million impact to the state.
DISCOUNT RATE PROGRAMS– Designed to help attract new investment to the Sunshine State and create more jobs for Floridians.
• Economic Development Rider (EDR) and Existing Facility EDR (EFEDR): Eligible companies may receive discounted rates based on jobs created, amount of kW or MW of new demand used, and age of
• Commercial Industrial Service Rider (CISR): Designed to attract new, large power users to the state as part of a competitive site location project.
• Explore Florida Tool: Community profile data. This tool contains the state’s most complete property database for growing businesses.
• Small Business Tool: Comprehensive market analysis, the ability to map potential customers and suppliers, research demographics, labor force and consumer expenditure data.
• Community Profiles: Explore and compare community key statistics like demographics, educational attainment, labor force, industry and local business, consumer spending patterns, housing market, transportation and more.
• Infrastructure Assessments
• Workforce Analysis
• Business Energy Manager
• Site Selection Support
• 35 Mules-an innovation hub powered by FPL, a NextEra Energy company
• Targeting startups creating the next generation of energy, energy adjacent and water technology.
• Startups have access to subject matter experts and executive coaches while working at FPL’s headquarters for 12-18 months and are given a grant to put toward their venture.
• Learn more at 35Mules.com