Sarasota County’s MSA is home to over 923 companies producing everything from hurricane impact-resistant windows to insulated drinkware to fiber optic cables. With a long history of manufacturing and the easy ability to ship worldwide, we’re one of the first calls when it comes to relocating and growing a manufacturing business in Florida.
A Solid Base
Florida is one of the nation’s top 10 states for manufacturing. Over 29,900 manufacturing companies employing over 334,254 people produce a range of goods to transport across the globe. Florida offers special sales and use tax exemptions for the aviation and aerospace industry, including commercial space activity, manufacturing equipment and aircraft parts, modification, maintenance and repair. Learn more about Florida’s machinery and equipment sales tax exemption.
Florida’s robust infrastructure makes it ideal for manufacturing operations
- 20 Commercial airports
- 15 deepwater seaports
- 2,700 miles of freight rail tracks
- 135,000+ miles of roadway
Sarasota County attracts many manufacturers. Its cost-competitive business market combined with international airports and the fastest-growing deepwater seaport in the state makes it one the best places to test, produce and distribute products.
923 Manufacturing Companies
$59,793 Average Salary
179 Industry Graduates
Key Manufacturing Sectors
Fabricated Metal Product Manufacturing
Packaging Machinery Manufacturing
Computer and Electronic Product Manufacturing
$36,600 Avg. Salary
23 5-Year New Job Demand
$42,900 Avg. Salary
85 5-Year New Job Demand
First Line Supervisors
$60,100 Avg. Salary
60 5-Year New Job Demand
State Incentives Benefit Manufacturers
Charges for electricity used directly and exclusively at a fixed location to operate machinery and equipment that is used to manufacture, process, compound, or produce items of tangible personal property for sale, or to operate pollution control equipment, recycling equipment, maintenance equipment, or monitoring or control equipment used in such operations, may be exempt from the sales tax. Read more.
- If 75 percent or more of the electricity or steam used at the fixed location is used to operate qualifying machinery or equipment, 100 percent of the sales tax on the charges for electricity or steam used at the fixed location is exempt.
- If less than 75 percent but 50 percent or more of the electricity or steam used at the fixed location is used to operate qualifying machinery or equipment, 50 percent of the sales tax on the charges for electricity or steam used at the fixed location is exempt.
No Machinery State Sales Tax
An exemption from Florida state sales and use tax applies to the amount charged to customers for labor associated with the maintenance or repair of:
- New Manufacturers – In order to qualify for the new business exemption, the machinery and equipment must have been purchased, or a purchase agreement made, prior to the date the business first begins to produce a product for inventory or immediate sale. Purchased machinery and equipment must be received within twelve months of the date that production began.
- Expanding Manufacturers – Industrial machinery and equipment is exempt from tax when purchased by an expanding business.
Sarasota County-Based Manufacturers
Invest in Sarasota County
The EDC of Sarasota County diversifies our local economy and helps create jobs for Floridians. Investing in the EDC empowers us to grow our economy and attract more business to our region.
LAKEWOOD RANCH RANKS NO. 1 IN THE NATION FOR FIFTH CONSECUTIVE YEAR Lakewood Ranch was recognized...
Outstanding leadership, culture and growth make these second-stage businesses stand-out The EDC of...
Omeza® Collagen Matrix received a Level II Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System (HCPCS)...