Sarasota County’s Green Economy
Sarasota County is attracting a thriving community of companies built on the interplay of innovation, lifestyle, clean technology, eco-friendly and sustainable practices, and environmental responsibility. The region has developed a culture and ethos of sustainability, and a celebration and care for Sarasota County’s environment and natural resources. Today the region is fostering a uniquely specialized economy of environmental, clean technology, and green innovation businesses.
Green Business Resources
Sarasota County has justly earned a statewide and national reputation over the past decade as one of the top sustainable counties in the U.S. We offer several resources for local businesses and individuals looking to join our growing Green Economy. Together the local governments of Sarasota County are committed to supporting sustainability in their own operations and in the community as a whole.
Sarasota County – Committed to environmental, cultural and economic sustainability, and offers a number of sustainability resources for businesses and individuals. It was certified as a Gold Level Green Local Government by the Florida Green Building Coalition in 2008 and again in 2015, the highest rated county at the time. Please visit the Sarasota County Sustainability website to learn more about programs and initiatives. The cities within Sarasota County are also taking a lead on sustainability.
City of Sarasota – Committed to a goal of 100 percent renewable energy city-wide by 2045 and has completed a detailed climate vulnerability and adaptation plan. The City has received SolSmart designation, meaning it strives to make installing solar easy for residents and businesses through efficient permitting processes. Please visit sarasotafl.gov/sustainability to learn more.
Town of Longboat Key – Committed to a turtle and shorebird friendly shoreline and will also be implementing a smart LED lighting retrofit project.
Green Business Certification
The Sarasota County Green Business Partnership is a network of businesses that have incorporated and demonstrated verified environmental measures and practices within their business. The Green Business Certification is open to all businesses in Sarasota County, and provides free technical assistance and marketing attention for making improvements in green operations.
Program certification includes an on-site verification of reduction, reuse and conservation practices in:
- Business operations
- Solid waste management
- Energy and water consumption
Discover Natural Sarasota County
An Eco-tourism guide, including information about local wildlife habitats, nature trails, land and water-based outdoor sports and recreational activities, museums and educational venues, and historic sites.
There are a number of academic programs in Sarasota that offer training and education in clean technology. All local colleges are working together through the Cross College Alliance to share expertise and resources.
- Everglades University – Sarasota Campus home to the Solar Energy Teaching Lab, as part of the Alternative and Renewable Energy Management degree program, where students can learn how to install and manage renewable energy on commercial buildings.
- Ringling College of Art and Design – offers science and environmental science curriculum.
- State College of Florida – Offers engineering and certificate programs in alternative energy and focal areas in their engineering programs.
- UF Innovation Station – The first engineering extension program of the University of Florida, which is focused on growing the region’s innovation economy.
- New College – The Honors College of Florida, offers a wide range of related curriculum and has a leading campus greening program.
- UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County – Brings the research of the University of Florida to Sarasota County residents and businesses to address local concerns. Includes the county’s Sustainability program along with education on solid waste reduction, water quality, nutrition, natural resources, youth development and more.
Making Green by Going Green
Sarasota County is becoming a hub for smart businesses that leverage sustainability for competitiveness and innovation.
Invest in Sarasota County
The EDC of Sarasota County diversifies our local economy and helps create jobs for Floridians. Investing in the EDC empowers us to grow our economy and attract more business to our region.
Latest Business Assistance News
MIDFLORIDA Credit Union has announced the opening of its Sarasota branch located at 544 S....
The Sterling Council and FloridaMakes announced today the 23 manufacturing companies in a field of...
Intertape Polymer Group Inc. (“IPG”) Enters into Arrangement Agreement to be Acquired by Clearlake Capital Group, L.P. in a US $2.6 Billion Transaction
• IPG shareholders to receive CDN$40.50 per share in cash • Transaction provides immediate...