To enhance the potential of students, promote excellence in teaching, and inspire innovation in education, guided by strategic philanthropy.
The Education Foundation of Sarasota County was established in 1988 as a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization that champions public education in Sarasota County. For over 30 years, we have partnered with the Sarasota County Schools and community organizations to support students and teachers. Today, we annually serve nearly 44,000 students and over 5,000 instructional staff and support personnel in 55 public schools in the Sarasota County Schools district. With the addition of families, employers, and citizens who depend on an educated population, we serve many more thousands. We believe that education transforms lives, and we seek to unite the community to prepare each and every student for life.
• At the heart of all our work is helping each and every student get ready for life and go further.
• As the backbone organization of PLANit Sarasota, an alliance for education and career planning, we convene community organizations, local businesses, and education partners to increase students’ college and career readiness. Over 60 partners strong, we create opportunities for students.
• Our Student Success Coaches, through one-on-one expert advising, help students find purpose and develop a plan beyond high school. They connect students to workshops, open houses, and technology they can use to get ready for life.
• We pair underserved and first-generation college students with mentors who provide guidance throughout the college application process through the completion of a college degree. We celebrate remarkable students who have overcome immense challenges through the STRIVE Awards.
• We keep alive students’ dreams of achieving a college education by providing numerous scholarships.
• We provide as much as $200,000 in EducateSRQ Teacher and Schoolwide Grants and DonorsChoose grants, so innovative teachers and schools can transform lessons through new activities and materials that meet their students’ unique needs and make learning hands-on and exciting.
• We celebrate amazing teachers through the Ignite Education Teacher of the Year Award Celebration.